Friday, August 28, 2009

Today I finished Jim and Casper Go to Church and wrote a rough draft of my review. The assignment is not due for 3 weeks, so I hope to polish it and post it before next week. This surge in productivity is mostly motivated by my interest in the subject matter – the class is really intriguing me, and since I’ve been through this attention boom and bust before, I know I must capitalize on this whim before the doldrums of routine set in. I hope to push through Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death in less than a week and begin Newbigin’s Foolishness to the Greeks before settling into Carson’s mammoth The Gagging of God. Can I do all the required reading in under a month? Regardless, while Jim and Casper was interesting and informative, I do think it is founded on a flawed premise which should be no surprise to anyone familiar with the publishing or written work of George Barna. More thoughts to come!


So, onward to Amusing Ourselves to Death. I am one of those crazy people who – gasp – doesn’t own a TV, so I am liable to get uppity and puff my chest out with some “yeah, uh-huh, see I told you so” shenanigans at the moment. However, I rent DVDs just like everyone else and while I’d like to ride my high horse, I am very much a child of my culture and time. I function in the age of diminished public discourse and thought that the rest of us operate in – sucked into the mind-numbing vortex of the soul killing ether that is Jerry Springer and @lancearmstrong, etc. Hey, what have they done with the King of Pop, anyway?


Here’s a quote from Postman to give you an idea of his first chapter and what intellectual terrain I’m treading:
“…the media of communication available to a culture are a dominant influence on the formation of the culture’s intellectual and social preoccupations.”



Communication, culture, worldview, and more...stay tuned. Oh wait, er, stay subscribed…?

No comments:

Post a Comment